The new solution will transform shop floor/factory transaction reporting and will enable manufacturing companies to achieve higher productivity by connecting shop floor to the top floor, through real time monitoring and reporting of machine performance, productivity, downtimes, production output etc.
RAMP – Real time Automated Machine Productivity system – will bring relief to the manufacturing sector in India, where the shop-floor is still isolated from the rest of the IT network in the organisation. Due to this, the most crucial shop floor data on production quantity and man-machine utilisation is manually collected and compiled, and is made available the next day. It is also often inaccurate or doctored, resulting in poor decision making. Most of the CXOs are unable to monitor progress of productivity initiatives and processes. The complexity increases when there are diverse machines with mix of new and legacy technologies, which becomes a big impediment for any IT enablement on the machines.
RAMP is going to change the above, as it provides for an off-the-shelf hardware for data capture that connects directly to machines like CNC, Heavy Presses, Injection Moulding Machines, Textile Machinery etc. It captures signals on production and productivity, and comes with fully customisable reporting software for providing standard or customised reports on any device viz. desktops, laptops, hand-held, etc. Reports on critical parameters like hourly parts count, machine down time, Total Predictive Maintenance (TPM) parameters like OEE, Availability of Machine (A), Performance Efficiency (P), Quality Rate (Q), and Maintenance Reports like – Downtime, Mean Time Between Failures (MTBF), Mean Time to Repair (MTTR), etc. are provided in real time. They are made available on email, desktop or web. The solution also provides for the email or SMS alerts on critical events like production shortfall, high rejection rates, critical machine breakdown, operator absenteeism etc.
With this solution, manufacturing companies will enjoy a host of benefits like tracking of production quantity, improved machine availability, enhanced operator productivity and efficiency, streamlined shop floor transaction reporting, tracking and improving, OEE, among others.
Typical issues faced by manufacturing companies
- Machines in a typical manufacturing shop floor are idle up to 30% of the time; that is 8 hours per day
- Often the reasons for down time are unknown or partially known
- Shop floor data on production quantity and man-machine utilisation is manually collected and compiled, available the next day, and is often inaccurate or doctored; this results in poor decision making
- No mechanism exists to capture/measure down time of machines accurately
- It is not possible to monitor progress of productivity initiatives and processes
- Diverse machines with a mix of new and legacy technologies are huge entry barriers for IT enablers
RAMP connects shop floor to the top floor through real time monitoring and reporting
Typical shop floor issues resolved by RAMP
User industries that will benefit most by using RAMP:
- Discrete manufacturing shop floors for machine performance monitoring
- Various types of machines such as CNC lathe, Turning centre, CNC press brakes, Heavy presses, Machining centres, Boring machines, Injection moulding machines, Die-casting machines, Forging hammers, Weaving machines etc.
- Process industries that require remote monitoring, like Energy & Power, Oil & Gas etc.